Making ingots

20 February 2011

Replacing our stock of type metal ingots was not something we thought about when we started casting. It had to happen some time, though. We found a couple of firms who would make new ones for us (thank you, Google), but it was going to cost more than we wanted to spend. The alternative was to melt down our scrap, so we looked into buying a furnace. Also too expensive. Once again, Google came to the rescue, and we bought a lead melting pot, two ingot moulds, an 8.5 kW gas burner, a temperature gauge and some powered tin. Now, after Nick spending two half-days out on the pavement crouched over a pot of 400 deg C metal, we have twenty four shiny ingots to keep our caster going.

Look out for more at Adventures in Monotype.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: